Passage to Petra - 6 Days
From 2021-04-11 to 2023-01-08
Breakfast daily and 1 dinner.
4 nights 4 star hotels.
1 night Wadi Rum deluxe desert camp.
Wadi Rum - 4x4 desert safari through the sand dunes.
Dead Sea - Free time to swim and detox.
Touring - Amman, Dead Sea, Petra, Wadi Rum, Shobak, Umm ar-Rasas and Mt Nebo.
Escorted by a licensed Jordanian tour guide and English speaking specialist guides at some local sights.
Airport arrival transfer on day 1 and departure transfer is offered on day 6 at 04:00, 07:00 and 12:00 only.
All relevant transfers and transportation in private modern air-conditioned vehicles.
Itinerary / more information
Day 1 - Amman Sunday. Welcome to Jordan and the start of an amazing adventure. Arrive in Amman and enjoy an included transfer to our hotel. The remainder of today is at your leisure.
Day 2 - Madaba Amman - Madaba - Mount Nebo - Umm ar Rasas - Petra. Today we tour the citadel and Archaeological Museum of Amman, before we take a walk through the bustling local souk to enjoy typical Jordanian street treats of falafel and hummus at the country’s most popular local street stand. As the pictures on the wall will prove, the unglamorous food stand was a great favourite of the late King Hussein.
Leaving Amman we stop first at Mt. Nebo, the site from which Moses saw the Promised Land. Having led the Israelites for 40 years through the wilderness, Moses finally saw them from this breathtaking vantage point. This amazing panorama includes the Jordan River Valley, the Dead Sea, Jericho and the spires and domes of the Mt. of Olives and Bethlehem on the Judean hills just across the wide valley. Later, we visit Madaba en route to Petra where we see the Church of St George, the Madaba Archaeological Park, Apostles Church and Madaba Museum.
Our next port of call is Um ar-Rasas, one of Jordan’s World Heritage sites and once an important stop on the busy caravan routes. The impressive mosaic floor of the St. Stephen Church features medallions commemorating all the early Christian pilgrimage sites of the region, and the extensive ruins also include one of the area’s earliest Stylite towers, where a Byzantine hermit lived atop the tower and preached to the pilgrimage visitors.
Our final stop of the day is Petra. Consider doing the Petra by Night excursion (payable locally) for a tantalizing candlelight stroll through Petra’s Siq…. a romantic preview of things to come.
Day 3 - Petra We begin the day with a walk through the mysterious mile-long Siq, the narrow gorge with towering sandstone walls leads into the ancient capital city of the Nabatean trading empire. Explore the Khazneh (the temple of Indiana Jones fame), Theatre, colonnaded street and museum. After lunch, we climb to ad-Deir (the Monastery), Petra’s largest carved façade.
This evening, why not try your hand at our Petra Kitchen Add-on to join fellow travellers for a cuisine course at the local Petra Kitchen, where you help prepare a memorable Jordanian feast.
Day 4 - Wadi Rum Petra - Wadi Rum. This morning we have the opportunity to join our guide for a return visit to Petra along the “secret way” of al-Madras, with visits to the High Place of Sacrifice and Wadi Farasa. At lunchtime, we stop at the Wadi Musa souk to pick up delicious shawarma sandwiches or fruit and veggie snacks from the local produce souk before making the scenic drive to Wadi Rum. A vast, silent landscape of ancient riverbeds, pastel coloured stretches of sandy desert and amazing rock formations known as jebels that rise from the desert floor, the deserts cape of Wadi Rum represents some of the most stunning countryside on our planet.
This desert is home to the once nomadic Bedouin people who would roam the desert tending to their flocks of goats. Most Bedouins now are village based although they still rely on goats to provide milk, yoghurt and cheese. Quite often Bedouins will return for a period of the year to their original nomadic lifestyle. Boarding 4 x 4s jeeps, we take a safari through the sand dunes, getting up close and personal to the surrounding scenery of Wadi Rum. We enjoy a magical evening under the brilliant stars of the desert night sky, including a scrumptious traditional Jordanian dinner.
Day 5 - Dead Sea Wadi Rum - Shobak – Wadi Mujib - Dead Sea. After breakfast at the campsite, we head north along the Desert Highway to visit Shobak Castle, which is perched dramatically on a hill top and was built by the Crusader King Baldwin I in 1115. After exploring the castle we descend some 1300 meters to the Dead Sea, the lowest point on the earth’s surface. More than 400 meters below sea level, the mineral-rich Dead Sea is the world’s original health and beauty spa. Drift out and bob in the waters and slap on some of the famous black Dead Sea mud to give your skin an invigorating boost.
For departures between April and October we head up the King’s Highway to Wadi Mujib. Here, we embark on a moderate–paced two hour trek along the Siq Trail. Measuring 500 metres in depth and spanning 4 kilometres across, the impressive Wadi Mujib is one of Jordan’s most remarkable natural features. This dramatic canyon features sheer rocky walls and sparkling waterways that range from puddle height to depths that are perfect for swimming (chest height or deeper) depending on the rainfall. When the water level is high you should be prepared for having to climb up ladders, clamber across boulders and be happy to wade through water. The canyon is just one feature of the Mujib Biosphere Reserve, the lowest nature reserve in the world, home to a surprising diversity of wildlife and plant species. For those not interested in taking the full hike, you can walk part of it or wait by the Visitor Centre till the group returns. After our trek we make our way to the Dead Sea.
Day 6 - Dead Sea Friday. Dead Sea - Amman Airport. Hotel check out and included onward transfer to Amman Airport. Departure transfers are offered at 04:00, 07:00 and 12:00 on day 6. If you would like a departure transfer at any other time or a transfer with post tour accommodation this can be arranged for an additional cost, please enquire.
Consider extending your holiday and take an inspirational journey to the revered Holy Land and visit some of Israel's best known historical and sacred sights on our 4-day Add-on of Jerusalem and beyond.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 04 December 2020 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..