Kenya: Wildlife Rangers Expedition
From 25/07/2020 to 18/09/2020
Meet the Rangers who work on the frontline in the area between Amboseli National Park, Chyulu Hills National Park & Kilimanjaro Park.
Help support wildlife Rangers of Kenya with a USD $100 donation included in the price of the trip through The Intrepid Foundation and The Thin Green Line https://www.
Explore Nairobi National Park with local Rangers.
Learn about the unique challenges of Human-Wildlife conflict in a park that's not completely fenced.
Visit Rangers at an outstation post and experience Africa from a different perspective, by accompanying the Rangers on foot patrol within the rhino sector of Chyulu Hills National Park.
Spend a night at the Ranger training academy and learn about : 6.
Lunches Included: 4.
Dinners Included: 4.
Hotel (2 nights),Camping (with basic facilities (3 nights),Camping with facilities (1 night).
Overland vehicle,4x4 safari vehicle.
Age: min 15.
Group Size: 4 - 16.
$100 (USD) Donation to The Thin Green Line.
Nairobi National Park - Ivory Burn Site visit.
Nairobi - Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage.
Nairobi National Park - Game Drive (overland vehicle).
Nairobi National Park - Ranger Introduction.
Kimana Sanctuary - Game Drive (overland vehicle).
Greater Amboseli - Ranger Headquarters visit.
Chyulu Hills National Park - Rhino Foot Patrol.
Chyulu Hills National Park - Ranger Station visit.
Kimana Sanctuary - Elephant Sector 4x4 Game Drive.
Greater Amboseli - Ranger Training Academy visit.
Amboseli National Park - Afternoon 4x4 Game Drive.
Amboseli National Park - Morning 4x4 Game Drive.
Imbirikani Maasai Village - Village Visit.
Itinerary / more information
Day 1 - Nairobi Jambo! Welcome to Nairobi, Kenya's capital. Your adventure kicks off with a welcome meeting at 6 pm, but feel free to arrive early and check out the sites. You'll meet an experienced Ranger from the program with Big Life Foundation. The Ranger will accompany the group for the duration of the trip to provide more information on the specifics of their work. Hear about the great work these foundations are doing and how your donations and involvement will help, then perhaps join your new travel buds for an optional group dinner in town with your leader. Please ask the hotel reception where the evening meeting will take place. If you can't arrange a flight in time for this, consider arriving a day early so you may attend and if you are going to be late, please inform reception. We'll be collecting your insurance and next of kin details at the meeting, so please ensure you have these on hand to give to your leader. For more information on the optional Urban Adventures check out https://www.urbanadventures.com/destination/nairobi-tours
Day 2 - Nairobi This morning you'll visit the David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust after breakfast for a chance to see orphaned elephants and rhinos up close. Get to know these beautiful, endangered animals and their plight in the modern world, and how The Thin Green Line Foundation supports the trust by providing Ranger support when re-releasing elephants into the wild. From here, travel to Nairobi National Park, just 7 km south of Nairobi, and meet some of the Rangers who work there. Learn about the the unique challenges faced not only by the wild animals living so close to a developing city, but also the Rangers working in a park that's not completely fenced. Visit the famous ivory burn site, where Kenyan president Aniel arap Moi set fire to 11 tonnes of ivory in 1989 to prove it had no value. In 2016, President Uhuru Kenyatta ordered 100 tonnes of ivory to be burnt at the same site, continuing to build Kenya's already strong reputation when it comes to conservation. Rangers will also touch on the human cost of wildlife protection. Over 1000 Rangers worldwide have lost their lives in the past decade, and The Thin Green Line Foundation is dedicated to not only training and protecting Rangers, but also providing for their families should the worst happen. Return to your hotel in the evening, perhaps heading out for dinner with the group. Your leader will be on hand to suggest the best local places to eat.
Day 3 - Big Life Ranger Headquarters / Kimana Sanctuary Depart Nairobi early and travel to Kimana Sanctuary (approx. five hours), a protected private area right in the middle of the Amboseli, Chyulu Hills and Kilimanjaro national parks. Stop en route at the Ranger headquarters for The Big Life Foundation, where you'll meet the head Rangers, take a tour around the facilities and receive a short presentation on the importance of the area and how its run in conjunction with the community. Continue to your camp at Kimana Sanctuary (approx. one hour) then set up camp and get to know your surroundings. Later, the group will take an overland vehicle for a game drive around the sanctuary capped off with a few relaxed sunset drinks.
Day 4 - Ranger Outstation / Kimana Sanctuary Drive back past the headquarters and out to a Ranger station in the rolling green hills of Chyulu Hills National Park (approx. two hours). Here you'll receive a demonstration of control techniques, and learn about the day-to-day activities performed by the Rangers and general life at the station. Get to know the Rangers as you accompany them on a foot patrol of the area, then head back to your sanctuary camp after a truly memorable day. Here you can help out with prepping some food and talk about the day. Later sit around the campfire and listen to stories of animal protection from our experienced Ranger – 'war stories' is a pretty apt description.
Day 5 - Ranger Academy (Greater Amboseli) Wake up early to be greeted by a convoy of 4x4 safari vehicles and their drivers. They're here to take you on a game drive through the elephant sector of Kimana Sanctuary before returning to camp for a leisurely hot brunch and some free time. The sanctuary provides a corridor for the Amboseli elephants, ensuring they can roam between the Amboseli, Chyulu Hills and Tsavo West National Park. With waterways, swamps and Kilimanjaro providing a backdrop, the sanctuary is a stunning, critical piece of land for a large variety of animals. After eating, head to the nearby Ranger training academy where you'll camp for the evening. This is a chance to gain another perspective on life as a Ranger, and though we won't interrupt their daily activities, we do share facilities with the Rangers-in-training and can take an opportunity to learn more about their lives while helping with cooking and cleaning duties.
Day 6 - Amboseli National Park Enjoy a leisurely start to the day then take a short drive to Amboseli National Park, located close to the Tanzanian border. Settle into camp and spend some free time readying yourself for an afternoon game drive in 4x4 safari vehicles. Amboseli was designated as a national park in 1974 and declared a UNESCO site in 1991, and is known for its opportunities to get up close to its elephant population. Keep an eye out for the Big 5 and other wildlife, and take a chance to reflect on the incredibly important work being done by the Rangers you've met over the past few days. Without them, opportunities to see these beautiful animals would be diminishing at an even more alarming rate.
Day 7 - Nairobi Rise early once more for a final game drive through Amboseli National Park, searching for elephants, buffalo, impala, lions, cheetahs, hyenas, giraffes and zebras. Return to your camp for a hot brunch, then pack up before beginning a long travel day back to Nairobi. Before leaving the Kimana area visit the Imbirikani Maasai village where you'll meet the village elders and spend some time learning about the unique way of life of the Maasai. On arriving at the Nairobi hotel your journey will be complete.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 24 February 2020 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..