Geminids Meteor Shower - 15 Days
From 2020-12-06 to 2021-12-06
14 breakfasts, 2 lunches, 6 dinners including Berber camp dinner.
13 nights 3 star hotel, 1 night camping - Berber camp in the Sahara.
Guided sighting in Chefchaouen, Volubilis, Fes and Ait Benhaddou.
Specialist local guides at some sites.
Arrival transfer from Marrakech airport - on day 1.
Camel trek into the Sahara.
Escorted by an English speaking tour leader.
Transportation and transfers in private 4x4 or mini van/touring vehicle, public bus Essaouira - Marrakech day 13.
All entrance fees to included sights.
All road taxes and tolls.
Itinerary / more information
Day 1 - Marrakech 6th December 2020. Welcome to Morocco! You'll be met at Marrakech Airport and transferred to your hotel. Be sure to arrive in time for our welcome meeting and dinner at 18:00.
Day 2 - Casablanca Marrakech - Casablanca. En-route this morning we travel up to Casablanca. Made famous by Humphrey Bogart in the film “Casablanca”. We then have the option of visiting the stunning Hassan II mosque, which has the tallest minaret and the third largest mosque in the world, it can hold 25,000 worshippers at any one time.
Day 3 - Meknes Casablanca - Rabat - Meknes. This morning we head straight to Rabat, Morocco’s capital city. We will spend the morning visiting Oudaia Kasbah, Hassan tower, the Royal Palace and Chellah. After lunch we will move on to the third of our Imperial cities Meknes to enjoy some free time.
Day 4 - Chefchaouen Meknes - Chefchaouen. After breakfast, we’ll embark on a tour of the Roman ruins at Volubilis, the largest ancient site of Morocco. UNESCO-listed, the site dates back to AD40 and once ruled the entire Roman province of Mauritania. We’ll then head on to Chefchaouen for a guided tour this afternoon. High up in the Rif mountains, Chefchaouen boasts a beautiful blue door and white-walled medina that was originally a Berber post. The main square is the heart of Chefchaouen, with the Kasbah (built back in the 18th century), central mosque and cafes with authentic menus. The busy market is a mix of traditional Moroccan and tourist fare.
Day 5-6 - Fes Chefchaouen - Fes. Enjoy some free time in Chefchaouen this morning - relax at the hotel or spend your time exploring this beautiful city. We travel on to Fes in the afternoon. Fes is the oldest and largest medieval city in the world, and its medina is a heady mix of aromas, sounds and sights. To navigate, follow one of the five, themed tourist circuits. There are plenty of mosques and palaces to visit, but be aware that only Muslims can enter Mosques in Morocco.
On day 6 we embark on a fully guided tour of the city of Fes. Explore the tanneries, souks, potteries, and the Medina, and learn the fascinating history of the city. We’ll later return to the hotel to get ready for an optional night of Moroccan entertainment and food at a restaurant in town.
Day 7 - Midelt Fes - Midelt. This morning we journey over the Moyen Atlas to stop at Midelt. This is a beautiful alpine area. Surrounded by huge pine trees and a tranquile mountain setting, this is a great spot to cool down and relax after the hustle and bustle of Fes. We will enjoy a small hike in the afternoon. We spend the night in this mountain location.
Day 8 - Erg Chebbi Midelt - Erg Chebbi. Today we embark on a scenic drive followed by an optional tasty Moroccan lunch (not included) and an afternoon relaxing and swimming. Then we head out to towards the Erg Chebbi dunes located near the remote frontier town of Merzouga. The dunes are renowned for their incredible height and size. In parts the vast sand pile reaches skyward to heights of 150 metres! Transferring to our camels we trek into the Sahara for a night at our Berber Camp. Tonight, we enjoy a local meal, music and an amazing night out under the Saharan stars.
The stars in the Sahara are fantastic at the best of times - however tonight they should be extraordinary as we hope to witness the peak of the Geminids Meteor Shower. This annual event has been observed for over 500 years and gets its names from the constellation Gemini, because it is said to emanate from here. The shower is one of the world's brightest, has been known to produce fire balls and can create 100-150 meteors an hour at its peak.
Day 9 - Todra Gorge Erg Chebbi - Todra Gorge. Leaving the desert, we move on to Todra Gorge. This 1000ft gorge is hemmed in on all sides by vertical limestone cliffs and is also called Morocco’s Grand Canyon. We will have an early lunch at the village co-operative where you can see and buy authentic, Berber, handmade rugs, kilims and carpets. The afternoon can be spent exploring the Gorge, walking through the palmerie or if you’re feeling adventurous, there is the option to rock climb.
Day 10 - Ait Benhaddou Todra Gorge - Ait Benhaddou. Leaving the impressive Todra Gorge we continue our journey to Ait Benhaddou, stopping en route in Ouarzazate for lunch and the opportunity to tour its famous film studio (book/pay locally). After lunch we tour the famous Ait Benhaddou Kasbah, where Lawrence of Arabia was once filmed.
Day 11-12 - Essaouira Ait Benhaddou - Essaouira. Todays drive offers panoramic views as we traverse the high Atlas Mountains on our way to Essaouira. A colourful old city and fishing village is located within 15th century Portuguese fortifications. Just outside the town great beaches and an Atlantic surf beckon.
Relax on the beach or alternatively explore the UNESCO-listed medina with its various souks and woodcarving workshops. Any city gate leads to the Medina, so you’re unlikely to get lost. The beach is in front of the Medina and there are plenty of cafés with terraces, both ideal for relaxing for a few hours. Blue doors and window frames abound as do the artists shops – buy a carpet or Thuya wood carving or sit on the beach sipping a mint tea as the sun sets, an antidote to the bustle of the Imperial Cities. During our time here there's the option to take part in horse trekking or quad biking.
Day 13-14 - Marrakech Essaouira - Marrakech - breakfast. We take a supratours public bus from Essaouira back to Marrakech this morning, to explore the last of Morocco’s four Imperial cities we visit on this tour. Marrakech set against the snow-capped Atlas Mountains. Its great pride and landmark is the Koutoubia Tower, sister to the Tower of Hassan in Rabat and the Giralda Tower in Seville. It is said that after the third of these was completed, the sultan had the eyes of his architect put out, lest he should build another more beautiful tower elsewhere. No visit to the city is complete without a visit to the city’s UNESCO-listed medina & Djemaa-el-Fna, an extraordinary gathering and market place. An optional guided tour of Marrakech is offered with a local payment of 100 Dirhams, alternatively you can explore the city yourself or relax by the pool.
Day 15 - Marrakech 20th December 2020. Marrakech - Breakfast. Spend the morning relaxing or picking up a few last minute souvenirs. Our tour concludes upon hotel check out at 12 noon.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 04 April 2020 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..