Best of Kenya & Tanzania - 11 Days
From 2020-04-06 to 2021-12-27
9 breakfasts, 9 lunches and 9 dinners .
1st night dormitory accommodation at Kenya Comfort Hotel, 9 nights camping.
Tents and sleeping mats provided .
Arrival transfer from Nairobi Airport .
Park entry and game drives - Nakuru NP, Masai Mara, Ngorongoro NP and Serengeti NP.
A fully equipped overland truck for transportation and game drives .
Services of 3 person crew (leader, driver, cook) .
All camping fees and appropriate equipment .
All road taxes and tolls.
Itinerary / more information
Day 1 - Nairobi Monday. Welcome to Nairobi! We’ll be there to collect you at Nairobi Airport and transfer you to the Kenya Comfort Hotel in Nairobi. Tonight you will stay in shared dorms. There will be a pre departure meeting at 17.00.
Day 2 - Masai Mara Nairobi - Masai Mara. Today we make our way through rolling grasslands to the Masai Mara National Reserve, where these habitual pastoralists are often seen tending their cattle from the side of the road. We pass through the town of Narok, hopefully catching a glimpse of wildlife along the way.
The main section of road between Nairobi and the Reserve is in a very poor state, so be prepared for a rough ride as we make our way to our campsite which looks on to the Meguarra hills Arriving in the evening, we enjoy the sounds of the wilds with an evening at leisure. The Reserve remains unfenced, allowing wildlife to roam freely across into the surrounding area and if they choose – through our own camp! No need to be afraid, as the local ‘Askari’ will keep a look out for any unwanted predators.
Day 3 - Masai Mara Masai Mara. The Masai Mara, well known as one of East Africa’s best National Reserves, is ours to explore today. Departing shortly after sunrise, we enjoy a game drive into the Reserve, most famous for the Annual Migration, when hundreds of thousands of wildebeest, zebra and Thomson’s gazelles cross over from the Serengeti National Park in Tanzania. The Masai Mara is most popular between July and October when these vast herds feast on the fresh grazing here, and Africa’s predators are not too far behind, often seen at a kill during this period. We search of the ‘Big 5’- elephant, rhino, buffalo, lion & leopard, along with the many other species of animals, reptiles and birds which call this wilderness home.
Day 4 - Lake Nakuru Masai Mara - Lake Nakuru. Leaving Masai Mara we head towards our first overnight stop in the area of Lake Nakuru National Park, one of Kenya’s most popular parks.
Day 5 - Lake Nakuru Lake Nakuru. This morning we begin our exploration of the Lake Nakuru National Park. The park was established as a sanctuary for black and white rhino, which are often seen. We spend the day searching for these pre-historic looking beasts as well as the elusive leopard, encountering buffalo, giraffe, and various antelope.
Day 6 - Kisii & the Gusii Highlands Lake Nakuru - Kisii/Kericho Area. After breakfast we leave the Lake Nakuru and head to Kisii/Kericho passing through the picturesque tea plantations along the way. These towns are the main commercial centres in the Gusii Highlands, where cash crops like tea and coffee thrive because of its equatorial climate. We replenish our stocks before heading for Tanzania tomorrow.
Day 7 - Musoma Kisii/Kericho - Musoma. We depart Kenya and head south into Tanzania. After border formalities, our drive takes us through the scenic granite landscapes adjacent to Africa’s largest lake – Lake Victoria. We spend the night at a campsite on the banks of Lake Victoria in the fishing town of Musoma.
Day 8 - Serengeti National Park Musoma - Serengeti. Today we head to the Serengeti National Park, entering the park after lunch. The Serengeti (Masai for “endless plains”) is famous for its enormous concentration of game (especially the big cats) and for the annual migration of millions of wildebeest, zebra and Thomson’s gazelles. The abundance of plains game in this area is truly astounding. We enter the park through the lesser travelled western corridor and game drive en-route to our campsite in the centre of the park. Tonight we bush camp (no ablutions) in the wild surrounded by the sounds of the African bushveld, pierced only by the calls of the nocturnal wildlife.
Day 9 - Ngorongoro Crater Serengeti - Ngorongoro Crater. After an early start we pack up our camp and continue our game drive through the Serengeti National Park in search of the resident wildlife and head to the southern part of the park where we have the chance to see the endless plains this park is renowned for. With some luck, we may see some of Africa’s ‘Big 5’! We cross from the Serengeti to the Ngorongoro Conservation area at lunch time and begin our climb up the steep Crater edge. Tonight’s camp (basic ablutions) on the crater rim sharply contrasts the warmer plains below - we suggest you bring your winter woollies as it can get very cold at night.
Day 10 - Arusha Ngorongoro Crater - Arusha. The Ngorongoro Crater with its 600 m high walls and 20 km width is a natural marvel. The Crater’s rim offers spectacular views, but the true scale of this caldera is only appreciated from the floor itself where the abundance of its animal inhabitants becomes apparent. It is home to nearly every species of African animal and offers a chance to view an incredible concentration of East African mammals, such as elephant, rhino, buffalo, hippo, lion and plain’s game. After spending the morning game driving in The Crater we continue to our campsite outside Arusha where we spend the evening musing over our thrilling wildlife experience.
Day 11 - Nairobi Arusha - Nairobi. After breakfast, we begin our journey back to Nairobi. On arrival in the late afternoon, we exchange addresses and part ways, having just experienced a trip of a lifetime!
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 06 April 2020 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..