Yogyakarta's Secret Treasures
From 02/06/2020 to 02/01/2022
Yogyakarta is one of South-East Asia's standout spots, and a cycling trip takes you through its backcountry, cycling past picture-perfect rice paddies and smiling locals.
Be treated to a performance of Javanese Ramayana ballet with the incredible Prambanan Temple serving as a backdrop.
Visit Borobudur, the largest Buddhist structure on earth and truly one of South East Asia's lesser known treasures.
Yogyakarta is known for its food scene and specialises in various sweets, a street food walking tour allows you to taste and appreciate it's many offerings.
Breakfasts Included: 3.
Lunches Included: 1.
Dinners Included: 1.
Hotel (3 nights).
Age: min 14.
Group Size: 1 - 12.
Yogyakarta - Ramayana ballet performance.
Yogyakarta - Prambanan Temple complex.
Yogyakarta - Countryside bike ride.
Yogyakarta - Street food walking tour.
Yogyakarta - Borobudur Temple complex.
Yogyakarta - Tamansari Water Castle.
Itinerary / more information
Day 1 - Yogyakarta Welcome to Yogyakarta, Java's cultural capital. Begin your adventure at 3 pm by departing for the Prambanan temple complex. With over 500 temples, this World Heritage-listed site is Indonesia's biggest temple complex dedicated to Shiva, a Hindu god whose role is destroy the universe in order to re-create it. Watch the sunset blaze orange over the temples before an included dinner in an open-air restaurant facing the Prambanan Temple. Afterwards, enjoy a performance of Ramayana ballet in the open-air theatre, a visual representation of an ancient Indian epic poem in which Prince Rama attempts to rescue his wife, Sita, from the clutches of a demon king, aided by an army of monkeys. It's kind of like Planet of the Apes, but totally different. Transfer back to the hotel once the performance has finished.
Day 2 - Yogyakarta Jump in the saddle this morning and cycle through the countryside just outside of Yogyakarta. Ride through rice paddies and learn about rice production, stopping at various small, local industries producing tempeh, tofu and bricks to gain an insight into the working lives of the locals. This will wrap up just before noon, then enjoy a free afternoon until around 4 pm, when you'll meet a local guide for a street-food walking tour. Yogyakarta is known for its food scene and specialises in various sweets, and you'll begin by walking through the city centre to Wijilan to try Yogyakarta's iconic dish: gudeg. It's made from young, unripe jackfruit and can take a full day to properly make. The tour will take in a variety of dishes and finish at approximately 8 pm, at which point you'll return to your hotel and have the rest of the evening free to do as you wish.
Day 3 - Yogyakarta Depart the hotel early for a transfer to Borobudor, the world's largest Buddhist temple. Built in the 9th century, this incredible monument is a popular site for both pilgrims and tourists, but you'll arrive early in the morning when there are fewer people, better light and more opportunities for stunning photos. Take a tour of the temple then travel to the Tamansari Water Castle, the impressive gardens built for the Sultan of Yogyakarta. Enjoy a local lunch then return to your hotel for a free, final evening in town.
Day 4 - Yogyakarta Your short break comes to an end this morning and there are no activities planned.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 15 April 2020 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..