Wild Sri Lanka & Beach for Families - 13 Days
From 2020-04-04 to 2021-12-18
Jeep safaris in Minneriya National Park and Yala National Park.
12 nights 3 - 4 star hotels.
Sightseeing of Dambulla, Polonnaruwa, Sigiriya, Happutale, Ella and Colombo.
Scenic train trip Kandy - Tuk Tuk trips.
Escorted by an English speaking national guide.
Airport arrival and departure transfers on day 1 and day 13.
All relevant transfers and transportation in private air-conditioned vehicles.
Itinerary / more information
Day 1 - Colombo Welcome to Sri Lanka! You will be met upon arrival at the airport and transferred to your hotel in the city of Negombo. Here you will have the rest of the afternoon to settle in and explore the highlights at your own leisure.
Day 2 - Dambulla Negombo - Dambulla. After breakfast we bid farewell to Negombo and set off for the town of Dambulla, home of the famous Dambulla cave temples and Sigiriya ancient rock fortress. Spend the rest of the afternoon getting better acquainted with this lovely town. Sit back, relax and try some of the local traditional foods including pittu.
Day 3 - Dambulla Sigiriya Rock & Village. Our first stop this morning is to the ancient Sigiriya rock fortress of the 5th Century King Kasyapa, undoubtedly one of the most iconic sights of Sri Lanka. Let the kids’ burn off some energy with the climb up to the ruins of the palace and penthouse. Once we reach the ruins we have time to wander through some of the oldest landscape multi-tiered gardens in the world, and revel in the breathtaking landscape of the surrounding jungles.
After descending from the ruins we make our way along the village path to a typical village lake, known as a “Wewa”, passing by homes surrounded by green woods and watch huts which the locals use at night to keep a lookout for wild elephants and boar. Here we cross the lake by canoe arriving at a local farm where we meet the owners and spend some time watching them share the secrets of Sri Lanakan cuisine before we sit down to enjoy the delicious meal which has been prepared using a traditional hearth. Upon our return to Dambulla we have the evening at leisure to spend however we wish.
Day 4 - Dambulla Polonnaruwa & Minneriya. After breakfast we make our way to the medieval capital of Sri Lanka, Polonnaruwa. Here we take time to wander along the shimmering waters of the man-made lake, the Parakrama Samudra and uncover intricately carved lotus pillars, meditative halls, ceremonial towers, as well as magnificent royal baths and palace ruins before stopping at the famous Gal Vihara Temple.
This afternoon we head to Minneriya National Park where we search for wildlife by Jeep Safari. Despite its relatively small size there is an unusually wide range of habitat types, from dry tropical forest to wetlands and grasslands found here which is home to Elephants, sambar, spotted deer, macaque and purple-faced langur monkeys, sloth bears and if we are incredibly lucky we may spot a leopard on our game drive. An adventure for all ages!
Day 5 - Kandy Dambulla - Kandy. This morning we discover the Golden Cave Temple in Dambulla, the most impressive of Sri Lanka’s cave temples. Boasting over 2000 sq meters of painted walls and ceilings and a 14 meter Buddha made from rock.
Our next stop of the day is to a spice garden in Matale to get a better understanding of the process of growing the various different spices Sri Lanka is famous for before finishing our day in Kandy, the city of colonial architecture.
Day 6 - Kandy Today we explore the last capital of Sri Lankan kings by tuk tuk. We start our tour driving around and taking a dip in the lake built by the last Sinhala King in 1798 before going back into the town and exploring the Bazaar, the gem museum and a local lapidary.
After freshening up at our hotel we end our day with a visit to the Temple of the Tooth Relic, where it is said that whoever holds the relic holds control of the country, for an evening of traditional entertainment and dancing.
Day 7 - Haputale Kandy - Happutale. Today we board the scenic train passing through tea plantations and amazing waterfalls until we reach the town of Happutale. After checking in and freshening up at our hotel we have the rest of the day to go in search of the birds’ eye views we have on our doorstep. Go hiking in the Thangamale woodland or visit the Lipton’s Seat lookout where Master Lipton planted the first seeds for what is now Sri Lanka’s most popular tea – Lipton Tea. For those looking to relax, the hotel pool offers amazing views of the surrounding landscape.
Day 8 - Tissamaharama Happutale - Tissamaharama. This morning we venture through the clouds to the village of Ella where we meet our local guide before making our way to our first stop - Ravena Ella Falls, one of the wildest falls in the country with a 30 foot drop. It is said the king who kidnapped princess Sita from India hid her behind the falls.
After relaxing back at the hotel we embark on a jeep safari through Yala National Park where we search through the thorny scrubs and dense forests in hopes to see the resident elephants, leopards and bear. If we’re lucky we also get the chance to see the feathered King Fisher and migrant birds being protected from Predator Eagles.
Day 9 - Bentota and Beruwala Tissamaharama-Beruwela. This morning we travel just outside of Tissamaharama to a local village called Hambantota. Here we wander through the farm and taste some home grown tea in a fresh coconut shell and play some traditional Sri Lankan games with the villagers. After an afternoon of fun we return to our bus in tractors used on the farm and set off to our last point of call for the day, Beruwela where we have the evening at leisure to spend on the beach.
Day 10-11 - Beruwela beach The next two days are at leisure to explore Beruwela. Take a stroll along the beach known as the "Golden Mile" or go for a walk through the lively fish market. You can meet the local fishermen and taste some of the days catch. Those looking for something different may wish to visit the water sports centre or sea turtle hatchery. Here you can learn all about the turtles that come to lay their eggs on the beaches here. You even get to meet some of the baby turtles!
Day 12 - Colombo Beruwela - Colombo. After breakfast we make our way to Colombo, originally known as "the garden city of the East”. Meet our guide and enjoy a sightseeing tour of highlights including the old clock tower and the impressive Gangaramaya Temple. Our tour ends with a spot of souvenir shopping in Paradise Road and Lakmedura. We then have the rest of the evening to continue exploring Colombo’s streets or sit back, relax and watch the world go by.
Day 13 - Colombo Our tour comes to an end today with a transfer to the airport. We hope you enjoyed your holiday!
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 04 April 2020 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..