Essence of South Africa
From 12/04/2020 to 05/01/2021
CITY TOUR in Cape TownVISIT Table Mountain, Bo-Kaap, Cape of Good Hope, Franschhoek, Hermanus, the Karongwe Private Game Reserve, Hector Pieterson Museum in Soweto, the Apartheid MuseumVIEW the Castle of Good Hope, Boulder's Beach penguin colony, Mandela House in Soweto.
9 breakfasts5 lunches (including Be My Guest)5 dinnersDaily breakfast and an average of 50% of evening mealsHand-picked hotels, lodges and luxury safari campsHand-picked Trip HighlightsOptional Experiences and free timeAll porterage and restaurant gratuitiesMust-see sightseeing and surprise extrasAn expert Travel Director, Driver Guide or Trafalgar RepresentativeAll hotel tips, charges and local taxes.
Itinerary / more information
1 - South Africa's 'Mother City' and her iconic Table Mountain extend a warm welcome as you embark on a journey that will reveal the highlights of South Africa. Spend the day delving into Cape Town's cosmopolitan surrounds before joining your fellow travellers and Travel Director for a Welcome Reception.
2 - This morning, we encounter Table Mountain first-hand, ascending via aerial cableway to its vast flat top - a rocky wonderland of rich Cape fynbos and curious dassies (hyraxes). Peer over the bustling City Bowl and Atlantic Seaboard keeping a keen eye out for the landmarks your Travel Director will show you during this morning's city tour, including Company Gardens, Bo-Kaap and the Castle of Good Hope. The rest of the day is yours to explore Cape Town at leisure. Ramble up Bree Street to sample the city's vibrant coffee culture or take a stroll along the Sea Point promenade with the fellow outdoor enthusiasts.
3 - Circumnavigate the Cape Peninsula, from trendy Camps Bay to Cape Point and back. The crashing waves of the Atlantic to your right, the rocky 12 Apostles to your left, wind your way along one of the world's most magnificent coastal roads towards the outcrop that is Africa's most extreme south-western tip. Say a quiet hello to the shy penguins of Boulders Beach, see the Cape of Good Hope and travel through charming coastal towns along the way.
4 - Venture to the town of Franschhoek and see during your orientation why it is proclaimed as one of the most beautiful wine valleys in the world. You'll then journey via the scenic Franschhoek Pass to the coastal town of Hermanus for your 'Be My Guest' experience. 'Connect With Locals' when you meet local business owner Stefan, who will treat you to a delicious traditional braai (barbecue) featuring delicious such as boerewors, pap and melktert. Over a glass of his homemade wine he'll share stories of his life in South Africa's whale watching capital. Return to Cape Town via a scenic driving route, arriving in the late afternoon. Enjoy your evening at leisure.
5 - This morning you'll bid farewell to the 'Mother City' and fly to Hoedspruit (flight purchased separately) where a private game reserve near South Africa's great Kruger National Park beckons. Then kick back, relax and settle in to one of Trafalgar's 'Stays With Stories', Becks Safari Lodge, your home in the bush for the next three nights.
6 - The action begins as we embark on an early morning game drive through Karongwe Private Reserve with a Local Specialist game ranger and Shangaan tracker-guide. The rising sun awakens the birds and insects that share your journey into the bush, as you scour the dense brush for signs of the Big 5. After lunch, and time for a siesta and a swim, return to the bush for an afternoon safari drive.
7 - Today enjoy another full day of game drives through Karongwe Private Reserve. Continue to scour the dense brush with your Local Specialist for incredible encounters with Africa's iconic wildlife. End the day with a traditional sundowner drink overlooking the Game Reserve, keeping your eyes peeled for signs of wildlife that emerge from their cover of darkness.
8 - Our time in the South African bushveld comes to a close with a 'Dive Into Culture' visit to a local Shangaan village. Learn about the traditions and customs of the Shangaan people and how the Eco Academy there provides eco and wildlife education. The visit includes a simple meal of grilled chicken, pap, Shangaan style cabbage, and for the brave, the opportunity to try mopani worms! Fly to Johannesburg (flight purchased separately) and check into your hotel, which is located in the restaurant and entertainment hub of Melrose Arch.
9 - Unlock the secrets of the 'city of gold' on a full-day tour to view several iconic sites including the Regina Mundi Church and Mandela's house in Soweto. 'Dive Into Culture' during a visit to the Hector Pieterson Museum and the Apartheid Museum, which chronicles South Africa's tumultuous Apartheid years.
10 - Our epic encounter with South Africa's iconic sites comes to an end today. Transfer to Johannesburg International Airport for your onward flight.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 25 February 2020 unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- Price is per person and subject to availability. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Local payments, "trip kittys" or food funds may apply and may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel agent prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Additional conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges and other applicable fees may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Payments made by credit card will incur a surcharge.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or Bpay.
- These prices are a guide to the best price. Prices are correct as at 20 February 2020 and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details.